Friday, July 18, 2008

Potty Mouth


It started almost a year ago when we ventured out to church for cousin Erin’s baby’s blessing in Newton. Calvin dropped his sippy cup and it rolled under the pew in front of us during sacrament meeting. “Oh shit” he clearly said. For quite some time this remained the only incident. Until about a month ago. I was getting ready in my bedroom and Calvin was in the living room. He was playing with the car seat and the handle fell back and I heard, “Oh shit! Hunny?“ Then he started to come get me because he thought he broke it. “Shit” I thought. “It’s time to take responsibility.” (Since then it’s become slightly more common in his vocabulary.) But can you actually blame me? Sometimes it’s an “Oh shit” moment and that’s all there is to it. Nothing else can bookend the event except that 2-word phrase. Say your 2 ½ year old decides to climb the bookcase to reach something he shouldn’t and you turn around while vacuuming just in time to watch it fall on top of him. Although unharmed and saved by the LoveSac, that’s not a situation I look at, pause, meander over to and say, “Oh my goodness! Just look at you stuck under there!” Or how about when the same 2 ½ year old topples over the baby gate and lands flat on his back on the kitchen floor. (He thought he could scale it with the grip of his toes. Good plan Son.) Or when he pulls the candle warmer off of the mantle and the glass shatters everywhere, or pushes the TV off of the stand and onto the floor, or throws his head back and splits your lip open. Does this sound like a child you want carrying your 3 month-old baby around? Imagine my horror when I turned around to find him carrying my infant across the room to put her in her car seat because he's ready to go and tired of waiting. By now he's getting close enough that there's no time to jump up and physically save my baby so I say it... "Oh shit!" Then I hold my breath for the 1/100th of a second that felt more like 10 full ones until I could reach out and assist him. Now for my battle. You may call this 4 letter word a bad habit, but I consider it part of my Mother's Instinct. That's that unexplainable wonder that tells you to always assume the worst and you'll be right 99% of the time. And what would be the point of having one if I'm just going to fight it? So go ahead and judge me and my child if you want. But just remember, while you’re judging us, my kid is teaching your kid naughty words.

11 comments:

Kirsten Cooley said...

Oh. My. Hell. you are the best writer I freaking love you!!!!

jhjonze said...

I will just quote my mother and say "What's the problem? It's a noun!" Awesome story!

Charlotte said...

Thanks for a seriously awesome laugh. Don't feel too bad... "Shit" was Todd Graves' first word.

Amanda said...

Vic...You are hilarious!

kathy said...

You hit the nail right on the head. Show me a mother who hasn't uttered that phrase at least a thousand times and I'll show you......nobody. Consider yourself (and Calvin) normal. My oldest son's first word was "shit" (Thanks, Uncle Clay). By the way, I've left you a little surprise on my blog.

LuCinda said...

You are naughty Victoria, I am ashamed of you!! You would never see or hear me teaching MY children such things. I am telling grandma and grandpa. You'll be in such trouble...

Felicia said...

Hey! Charlotte took my comment. Yup, Shit was Todd's first word. Just teach Calvin that it's a color...

Or, my kids learned (at school) to say Oh, snap. It takes a little practice, but it works :o)

LuCinda said...

Post again Vic.

Unknown said...

vic, I agree with you that sometimes in motherhood, a naughty word comes to mind. I try to say it in my head and not out loud, at least that's a good step in the right direction. calvin is still so cute though!

Dani Christensen said...

Hey! I just found your blog... Ali is ADORABLE!! And Calvin is so much bigger since the last time I saw him. How are you doing? I have a blog too - brockanddani.blogspot.com. I've been wondering how you have been doing. I run into your dad a lot at church and it's evident that he's got he's wrapped around his grandkids' fingers!!

Dani Christensen said...

haha - Isn't it funny how that works? I ran into your dad, AGAIN, yesterday. I always see him. Yea, I got married like a year and a half ago. Time flies... I can't believe you have another baby. She really is so adorable! How's everything else going for you?